Just as us humans prevent health issues, such as skin cancer, our pets need to have preventative care as well. As responsible pet owners, make sure your pet is able to block any parasites or diseases that could potentially be harmful.
Fleas and Ticks
Fleas and ticks spread fast and many are produced at one time. Animals can catch fleas from other dogs, outdoor environments, and areas where fleas live- which could be anywhere. Both fleas and ticks:
- can cause allergic reactions
- easily spread diseases
- can affect human skin and irritate it
Mosquitos can transmit diseases from animal to animal which can develop heartworm. Heartworm is a very serious and fatal disease if not taken seriously. Just as us humans would spray bug spray on ourselves to repel insects; our furry friends need that same care so they are not exposed to any harmful parasites.
To keep you and your pet healthy and safe from any harmful diseases, here are some useful tips:
- Avoid standing water near your living environment- mosquitos are attracted to standing water
- Wash bedding and vacuum regularly- then dispose dirt outside of the house
- Keep lawn trimmed short
- Apply vaccinations recommended by your vet that covers fleas, ticks, and heartworm all year round- this is the most important prevention
- Take into consideration your pet’s lifestyle- swims a lot, hikes a lot, social with other dogs, etc. since this will affect any topical medications