July 31st is National Mutt Day, a national nod to the mixed breeds that keep us guessing. Whatever you may want in a canine companion – big, small, active, lazy, wiry, short, curly, or straight hair – we guarantee there’s a perfect mutt waiting at your local rescue. If the fact mutts come in every combination of looks and personality isn’t enough, here are a few more fun facts about the pups that love to mix it up.
- Mutts can be healthier. Various studies across North America and Europe found that mixed breeds are less susceptible to health issues that may plague their purebred counterparts. They found that mutts have longer life spans, too.
- Mutts Save Money. Not just potentially on vet bills, but their adoption cost is much lower than purchasing a pure breed. (Seriously, they can save you thousands.)
- They’re Not Profitable Pets. By adopting a mixed breed, you don’t run the risk of supporting irresponsible breeders looking to make money with no regard to the dogs’ health or breed integrity. We know not all breeders are irresponsible, but it can be tricky to tell at times.
- Mutts Hang in the Middle. You won’t run into as many extremes in temperament with mutts as you do with pure breeds; in fact, they tend to be more stable when considering friendliness, protectiveness, shyness, and aggression because they’re an even-keeled mixture of personalities.
- Talk about Unique! If you like original things, there’s nothing more one-of-a-kind than a mixed breed. Think about it, there’s no way your neighbor will also have a Chihuahua/lab/Shar-Pei mix with an under bite.
Simply put: National Mutt Day is a reminder that a dog doesn’t have to be purebred to bring pure joy – if you’re considering a new dog for your family, don’t exclude the mixed breeds!
Show off your amazing mutts to our Facebook page!