June is Adopt a Shelter Cat Month, intended to bring attention to the thousands of fabulous felines sitting in the shelter awaiting their forever home. While cats might be known for being a bit more… what’s the word?… particular than their canine counterparts, anyone who’s owned a cat will tell you they’re just picky because they offer such a deep, genuine, and enriching bond. If you’ve been considering a cat, now’s the time! To give you a little boost, here are five fantastic, and very real, reasons to adopt a cat this month… but do you even really need one?
- Stress Reduction. It’s proven that petting an animal, like a cat, reduces stress – which has a whole slew of health benefits. Even their purr helps ease the mind and promotes relaxation.
- Stronger Immunity. Yep, owning a cat decreases the risk of allergies and asthma, which means more happy, healthy days for you.
- Reduced Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. Studies have proven it. Go ahead, look it up. We’ll wait.
- Companionship. Loving a cat can combat feelings of loneliness and, as an added bonus, some cats only bond with select people, making that feeling of friendship even more fulfilling and special.
- Decreased Risk of Heart Attack. One study showed that non-cat owners are 30-40% more likely to die of a heart attack than cat owners. If that’s not reason enough right there then we don’t know what is!
Bonus Reason: They are totally adorable and can complement any windowsill.
Whether you’re looking for an easygoing elderly cat or to raise a spunky, curious kitten, your shelter undoubtedly has the right feline for you – and, who knows, they may even be running an adoption special to mark the occasion! If you decide to adopt or foster a feline this Adopt a Cat Month, we’d love to see their sweet whiskers on our Facebook wall! And don’t forget to spay/neuter and properly identify your new best friend.