Between dogs and cats – and occasionally horses – we really don’t hear people talk too much about pet ferrets. So, as an ode to the domesticated little underdogs that keep their owners laughing… here are five fun facts about ferrets!
• The Latin name for ferret is Mustela putorius furo. Which doesn’t sound so bad… except it means ‘smelly little thief.’ (Which, let’s be honest, isn’t exactly a misnomer.)
• Ferrets sleep anywhere from 14-18 hours a day if given the opportunity. Must be nice!
• They are crepuscular animals, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk.
• A group of these guys is referred to as ‘a business.’ More like funny business!
• Ferrets are trainable! With plenty of delicious liver treats, you can train these guys to sit, high five, and even use a litter box.
Have you trained your ferret? Show off their skills and share with us!